Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Book Launch: Shrinking Violet



I'm so happy to introduce yet another terrific debut novel, SHRINKING VIOLET from Danielle Joseph.

Congratulations on the publication of your novel, SHRINKING VIOLET. Can you tell us a bit about the story and what inspired it?
It’s about a painfully shy high school senior, Tere, who dreams of being a DJ. When a slot opens up at her stepfather’s radio station, The SLAM, Tere snags the job and slowly opens up behind the mike. To everyone's shock, she's a hit as confident, sexy Sweet T, her radio persona! But Sweet T’s dream could turn into Tere’s worst nightmare when The Slam runs a contest to win a date with her for the prom!
I wanted to write about something I love, music and the story really took off from there. I also thought it would be cool to write a story about a girl who had to overcome personal obstacles to reach her dream.

How long have you been writing for children/teens? Have you written other books or is this your first effort?
I became interested in writing for teens during college but did not really become serious until after I had my first son and joined a critique group. SHRINKING VIOLET is my first published book but I have a few manuscripts in the drawer, some of which I plan to resurrect in the future.

Can you describe your path to the publication of SHRINKING VIOLET? Do you have a mentor or critique partner who guided you along the way?
I belong to a couple of wonderful critique groups that really helped me grow as a writer. One of the critique groups is lead by local author Joyce Sweeney and she has been a wonderful mentor to me and many other writers.

Do you have any advice for beginning writers?
I think it is really important to know your audience and to get to know them you need to read a lot and listen a lot. Also, you really need to write from your heart, not what you think you should write.

Can you tell us something about your personal life – inspirations, plans for the future, goals, etc.?
I plan to be a lifelong author. I love to write but I also love to share my stories and journey with other people so I plan to do school visits and talk at conferences. I have learned a lot from networking and have met some truly wonderful people along the way.

Do you have any new writing ventures underway?
I have another young adult book, INDIGO BLUES, coming out in Fall 2010 with FLUX. It’s told in two points of view and is about a songwriter who’s song about his breakup with his girlfriend hits number one and how both their lives change. I’m also working on something new that involves love, intrigue and things beyond the grave.

Do you have a website where readers can learn more about SHRINKING VIOLET?
Absolutely, it’s www.daniellejoseph.com and people can join my street team for up-to-date book info and contests.

No comments: